What made you as a goth what makes a goth

• View author's info Author Posted on Jul 28, 2005 at 06:21 PM

Hey! I was wondering how each of you all became who you are now as a goth. Feel free to discuss if you want. I guess I will start first here. I became interested in goth for a very long time here since I was very young as you can say pretty drawn to it. Besides my belief in pagan, I developed great interest in music, the goth clothings, and the goth way of life. I accepted the darkness as I did for the light just as life and death. I accepted the lack of beauty that most people failed to see in life. So if any of you who would like to share on how you became will be up to you.
  • 180Comments

• View author's info Posted on Jul 08, 2016 at 08:08 PM

I'll start with saying that I don't take "being goth" seriously, and perhaps I'm not even a fucking goth, but some people I know look at me in that way. I'm just a misanthropic, existential minded, black clad individual with a sardonic and fuck all attitude who happens to love all things aesthetically dark, depressive, dreamy, or violent. My best friend says I look like a black clad apocalyptic. AND with so much of what I love musically, aesthetically...and considering some of the bands that inspired me, and also of which I felt an affinity with in terms of their lyrics, the whole goth thing kinda slowly fell upon me and it just sorta fits.. I'll say that getting into the band, Swans, was the start of it for me, as well as other early 80s post-punk, The Birthday Party, Joy Division, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Christian Death, etc. etc. It all slowly came upon me after that, for a bit over a decade now. Before all that I was always more into hardcore punk, crust punk, death metal, black metal, grindcore, etc. But I've always liked ANYTHING dark, angsty, aggressive, gloomy, bleak, depressive, and ethereal... So am I goth? I don't know, whatever. I dig the scene and it's aesthetics to a great degree. 

• View author's info Posted on Sep 21, 2011 at 06:22 PM

Ever since grade school I had a different way of thinking. I was a reject then as well but that was because a lot of things about me were more advanced than other kids and both them and their parents saw me as a bad seed for it. Age 13 I uncorked my torture from then and sure enough I ended up at the funny farm. But, time there and time to see things different gave me more of an idea where I was going. I was exposed to Alien Sex Fiend, Bauhaus and Christian Death at age 14 before moving to State College, Pa from Abington, Pa. My interest in Poe was peeked at 13 and I kept it going. Shakespeare became of interest two years later thanks to my English teacher. More or less I could see I was in a gray shadowy path between light and dark when I sat down to analyze myself. My clothes were black, white or a dark color, i was writing poetry that others gave me high compliments on. Sure enough I didn't know a thing till I stopped to look. Here I am and this be the lifestyle I live.
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 14, 2011 at 06:05 PM

I felt like I belonged into it cuz I was the outcast almost my whole school life until high school I was known as chuckle crazy psycho and dark and morbid I never really fit in anywhere and I'm Wiccan and into magic love black clothes fell in love with hot topic and spencers
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 21, 2011 at 08:18 PM

I remember that I was really into the french revolutionary era and my family history. And my family history is long but the first of my family to come to america settled in New Orleans. So, I became very fascinated with the culture and history of New Orleans. New Orleans has some pretty dark history and some is related to my family. I just always was marveled by the darker more taboo things in the world. But, I really admired the beauty of it. I really feel in love with the beauty of the darkness. Since then, I've been an outcast :( But my friends dont mind, they rarely even notice they are so used to it. My parents dont mind, I am not rebellious or anything like that.
  • View author's info Posted on May 08, 2011 at 11:22 PM

What made me as a Goth? I believe it started when I felt, even as a little ankle-biter of a boy, that I wasn't like the other kids. I could pretend to be like them, and do the stuff they did, but never felt quite at home doing this. My parents got me the movie Fantasia, an old Disney feature with animations, each designed around a particular peace of classical music. The two that I liked to watch over and over again, like kids do, were Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring," and Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain," both of which had a very dark and barbaric quality to them. My Jewish Kindergarten teacher read us "Herschel and the Hanukkah Goblins," a kids' book you may remember about a clever old man who has to outwit the demons that haunt his village's Synagogue. I am not Jewish nor was I then, but I thought the story and especially the pictures were really cool. As I grew, I found myself more and more fascinated with mythological and magic(k)al things, reading fantasy, horror, and books about magic and ancient cultures (The Egyptians, Celts, Norse, Greeks, and Mesopotamian peoples mainly). Also, I always gravitated towards darker music. My aunt started me off with Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin when I was 11. Later, I was 14 and visiting an older cousin, when I heard some soothing and comfortable, yet quite brooding and sinister music from his room. I asked him about it, and it turned out to be The Legendary Pink Dots. He let me listen to the rest of the CD, and this is what ultimately led to my exploration of Gothic, Industrial, experimental, and other dark and unusual forms of art and music. This exploration of the music, art and ideals of the night culture continues to this day!
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 22, 2011 at 03:17 PM

What made me a "goth"? Well in my mind I've always been me. My rent's let me be who I was, even when I was little. I've always dressed in "crazy" "weird" ways. I got my first fishnets when I was nine :3 And been wearing black and "weird" makeup from the time I was first allowed to wear it. I wear alot of bright colors also not just black. Other might not agree with it, might say I'm not "goth" because of it. It's whatever, I was an outcast at school, it was other people that first called me "goth" anyway :P
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 22, 2011 at 03:17 PM

What made me a "goth"? Well in my mind I've always been me. My rent's let me be who I was, even when I was little. I've always dressed in "crazy" "weird" ways. I got my first fishnets when I was nine :3 And been wearing black and "weird" makeup from the time I was first allowed to wear it. I wear alot of bright colors also not just black. Other might not agree with it, might say I'm not "goth" because of it. It's whatever, I was an outcast at school, it was other people that first called me "goth" anyway :P
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 07, 2011 at 01:10 AM

I would have to say for me it was a gradual progression i was always diffrent from most of the other kids when i was growing up so i was more or less the outcast. i dressed how i wanted, said what i wanted and didnt bother with what anyone thought of it. It probably helped that my mom let me. she actully helped me to be myself even if it was wearing all black corsets and spikes. :)

So basicly i think i just was and have always been.

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Sep 22, 2010 at 07:07 AM

I'd allways liked black clothes from a young age, black coats, black trousers, black boots etc.

It wasn't until '99 when Christianity turned its back on me, I then discovered Paganism which has been more interesting.

And now when I had my heart ripped out by a loved one, all my good work thrown back in my face. I needed an outlet. I needed to feel .......I couldn't put my finger on it, shouting in the darkness seems to make it better. And that lovely coat that I'll be buying tomorrow. I still need the company to make it better.

• View author's info Posted on Sep 04, 2010 at 08:06 PM

what made me a goth, the unadultrated persecution of me loving everything dark.

in eigth grade i started hating every prep in the world
    imean they called me the poe kid because of my favorite author
    they also bugged me for listening to souxsie and the banshees what do they think they are, just another pathetic human that will eventually waste away...
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 08, 2010 at 07:16 PM

well... i think i was born goth... my mom is a goth from a small city i grow up listenig to goth music and stuff... since she had a hard time on her youth cuz of what she is she try to make me a "normal" kind of girl, you know the one that is dress in pink and flowery stuff...till i got old enough to cut that crap off!!! i think u cant make urself a goth u r either born a goth or not... it may take a while figuring out what u r but u cant just become one out of the blue... being a goth is something that comes from your inner self, its a unique way of seeing and understanding life and death, is a darkness that comes from inside u and that makes u who u r, its a state of mind that has little to do with clothes (even though, its a nice way to express urself) and more to do with ur thoughts and actions...
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 08, 2009 at 03:53 AM

Apparently not much activity on this topic, but I'll give it a shot.

I think being a Goth relates the most to a state of mind.
    A state of mind expressed through various ways such as clothing, music, religion.
    A state of mind created, sometimes caused, mostly by the environment, experiences.

In my view Goths are in essence romantic, with a experience of the dark bitter reality, they have made the choice to resist the pear pressure and to be loyal to their own individual nature.
    I also experience Goths to be creative, eager to learn and understand and experience new things.

Personally I think my state of mind can be classified as Goth, but I do not (yet) dress up like a stereotype Goth. Though the head and longer hair are a few expressions of my inner self.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Self realization of who i am. I don't pretend to be someone i'm not and lo' and behold, i found the type of people i like to be around and who i fit in with.

Obviously i've made myself this way, but hey, each to there own.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 13, 2009 at 08:40 PM

For me ever since i was little people always told me to stay away from the "goths" but something about it always attrated it to me. Where I was org from it wasnt accepted so it was hard for me to be in a small town and be goth since i was basically the only one along with my friend. But It's never stoped to persue something i like.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 04, 2009 at 04:31 PM

I think it was always bound to happen. It's always been apart of me. It was pushed to bloom when I went to Warped Tour 05. I started out punk. But listening to music like that and dressing like that leads to other subcultures, such as the gothic subculture, where I felt more at home and knew it was apart of me unlike the punk culture. Ha ha but don't get me wrong I still love punk music and enjoy my favorite pair of Plaid pants and Pink Leporard Print jacket :-)

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Sep 05, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I kinda grew into it somehow...All my clothes just became black and i really dont feel comfortable in colours anymore like, at all. At first i felt real stupid when people started to call me a goth but then i realised it was a long time coming...my obsessions, my music, my hatred for mainstream bullshit. It was like i was born this way :)
  • View author's info Posted on Sep 03, 2009 at 04:01 PM

-as i look back on my life,even as a small child,i favored night to day and was never one to smile.i loved horror movies.back in kindergarden,the first time i ever bled perfusely...i thought blood beautiful.i was and still am artistic,morbid and i always had a seriously dark since of humor.it came naturaly
    -as it turns out i was always goth....i just didn't know it.i always felt dark,i still do.the only differnce between then and now is that i sometimes look the part now.
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 28, 2009 at 07:38 AM

i was butt raped by the angry ghosts of charles baudelaire and lord byron..then they stole my lucky charms and replaced them with count chocula..after that it was all goth for me
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 07, 2009 at 10:56 AM

well I used to have a very shelterd life until some amazing events happend in my life and made me realise what i realy am i guess if a had to discribe it it's like being a snake born in the belly of a sheep until the fateful day wen i escaped and slithered into the darkness and I've love every second of it
Follow - email me when people comment
Home | Website Directory | Product Directory | Coupons & Promotions | Site Map

Disclaimer | Contact Us | Add your Site | Tell a Friend | Weblog
About Us | Shopper Resources | Affiliate Program | Affiliate Marketing 101
Deal Alerts | Sign-Up for our Newsletter | Unsubscribe from our Newsletter |Privacy Statement

Millionaire Match Dating
CopyRight ©2001 - ConsumerMatch.com, All Rights Reserved
ConsumerMatch.com was formerly known as Shop-Links.net.